Sustainable Futures Manager
- £27,000 pro-rata
- 3 or 4 days per week depending on skills and availability
- Fixed-term contract for 6 months (this will ideally be from end-Jan until end-July though the start date can be delayed for the right candidate. There are possible opportunities to extend employment depending on performance and availability of funding)
- Based in Southwark, Lewisham, and Greenwich
To apply send a completed application form and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Early applications are encouraged. We will assess applications as soon they come in and arrange interviews with selected candidates following their application. We will not accept any further applications after midnight on 29nd Jan 2020.
Do you have a rare combination of skills, bringing together some technical and financial knowledge of renewable energy (and particularly solar PV) or LED retrofit combined with an ability to build partnerships with community and local authority partners? If you can work effectively with both people and spreadsheets, join us in South East London and help us to transform our corner of London.
Local spaces such as community centres, leisure centres, artist studios, and schools play a key role in our community. However, they are often the last to benefit from renewables or energy efficiency measures. Selce and Sustainable Energy 24 (SE24) aim to help these sites to reduce their energy costs by installing renewables or enabling more efficient lighting. As the Sustainable Futures Manager you will take an operational lead in developing these projects. In the first instance, the role will focus on two areas of work:
LED Retrofit: South East London Community Energy (Selce) and SE24 are working in partnership on a new project focusing on LED Retrofit for community buildings. Through this project, we hope to raise community finance to enable our local community spaces to access low-cost LED lights and lighting. Your job would be to work with community organisations and the local authorities to identify sites across Southwark and Lewisham, conduct full lighting surveys, build a financial model, procure contractors, raise the community finance capital to cover the cost of LED retrofit and set up procedures for on-going operation of the project.
Solar Asset Management: Selce owns and operates 326kWp of solar across seven schools in SE London. If all goes to plan, a further 240kWp will be added to Selce’s portfolio of sites. Your role will focus on asset management; building on existing procedures and developing new ones to ensure that all sites are yielding as predicted.
Schools: We supported six school sites to access funding from the Lewisham Community Energy Fund for solar or LED retrofit projects. If they are awarded funding, your role will be to support them to implement measures.
Volunteer Supervision: You will have a volunteer working with you. A key part of your role will be to supervise the volunteer and enable them to achieve their goals.
Project Development: Selce and SE24 are always on the look-out for new opportunities to enable SE London sites to reduce their ecological footprint. We hope you would play a role in developing new projects an exploring opportunity as they arise.
Mucking into everyday Selce life: Depending on whether we opt for a 3 or a 4-day role, your role could include supporting the CEO with the overall management of Selce. This includes managing IT systems, contact management, liaising with clients, supporting communications work and working with our board of Directors.
The role is initially for a 6-month period but, this will be extended if further funding or income from new projects supports the role on an ongoing basis.
It’s a big and varied challenge and we are keen to find the right person, so if you have any questions or queries about the job, feel free to contact Giovanna (CEO) on 020 8269 4882
- A can-do attitude and proven ability to work independently and in teams. Although you will be supervised and managed, Selce and SE24 staff do not have the capacity to ‘show you what to do’. This is a role for an effective self-starter – someone who can work on their own initiative and seek guidance where necessary.
- Demonstrable experience of partnership working (ideally in the context of the community sector). You will be working with the community and local authority partners who are very time pressured and who face multiple competing priorities. Your role will be to understand the needs of partners and make the renewables or LED project their priority
- Experience in solar PV asset management. You will either have some theoretical understanding of maximising solar yield and practical experience of this. Ideally, you will understand how to submit meter readings, interpret the output of remote monitoring systems and be prepared to develop excel based tools for improving our asset management processes. OR alternatively, you will have demonstrable experience of LED Retrofit Projects: you will have experience of conducting lighting surveys, procuring contractors and overseeing the implementation
- Demonstrable understanding or experience of financial modeling for renewables or LED projects. You will be familiar with Excel and the basic tenets of financial modeling. Ideally, you will be familiar with financial modeling in the context of community share capital
- Excellent written communication skills. A large part of your work will be to convey technical issues to non-experts (premises managers, potential shareholders). The ability to communicate clearly and effectively on multiple levels to a variety of audiences is essential
- Social media skills: A familiarity with and an excitement about social media is will enable you to identify sites, potential shareholders and demonstrate the successes of projects
The following list of person specifications are not essential but will give any candidate ‘the edge’ in the selection process:
- A qualification in renewable energy engineering/ energy efficiency or similar technological discipline. This post would suit a graduate with a qualification in renewable energy engineering or a discipline that featured modules that require a technical understanding of renewable energy or energy efficiency. For example, a qualification in energy policy that required some technical understanding of renewable energy and energy efficiency would also be acceptable.
- Experience of working in a community energy context. Ideally, you will understand rules and practices as they relate to the generation of community finance
- Experience of being a volunteer or managing volunteers. You will be responsible for managing at least one volunteer. Ideally, you should be able to demonstrate that you can effectively support the volunteer
- Experience of successful community share capital fundraising. Your role will involve running a share offer. Ideally, you will have experience of drafting a share offer prospectus and taking part in the marketing a share offer
- Experience in raising funds from grantmakers. Your role could involve applying to funders for grant funds for the development of new projects (and the continuation of your own role)
- Project management skills. Your role will involve some financial and logistical project management, assessing and managing risk and monitoring and evaluation of project outcomes
- IT and Admin skills. Your role could include supporting the CEO with managing SELCEs IT, communications, and contact management systems
South East London Community Energy is an award-winning SE London based organisation that exists to promote fair, low carbon solutions to both climate crises and energy inequalities. Selce promotes community financed renewables, supports residents to increase the energy efficiency of their homes and provides advice and referrals for vulnerable residents at risk of fuel poverty.
SE24 (Sustainable Energy 24) encourage and develop locally-owned renewable energy projects, so that we can all reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and put money back into the local community. Thus far our focus has been on installing solar energy panels on community buildings and businesses.